Tabil (Arabic: تابل) is an Algerian and Tunisian spice mixture consisting of ground coriander seed, caraway seed, garlic powder, and chilli powder. The term can also refer to coriander by itself.
- 4 tablespoon coriander seeds
- ¾ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes (red pepper flakes)
- Place coriander, caraway, and red pepper flakes in small skillet. Toast the spices for 3 minutes over medium-low heat, or until darkened and fragrant (swirl the pan constantly to prevent burning).
- Transfer to bowl, and stir in garlic powder. Allow mixture to cool.
- When cooled, grind spice mixture in spice grinder, coffee grinder, or mortar and pestle. Store in airtight container.
If you prefer a milder flavour, use less red pepper flakes. For a hotter blend use cayenne pepper.