- 2 eggplants, medium size or 1 large
- ⅓ - ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped <em>(optional)</em>
- 2 teaspoon capers, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 basil sprigs, for garnish
- 1 French-style baguette
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Trim off any stems or blemishes on the skin of the eggplants. Cut eggplants crosswise into slices about 1 cm thick.
- Turn on broiler to heat. Place slices on a baking sheet and spray with oil, using a “mister” if you have one. If not, lightly brush each slice with olive oil. Place baking sheets under broiler on second shelf from top, so that they are not too close, or they will burn. When one side is slightly browned and soft when you press lightly, turn slices over, apply olive oil and return to broiler. Depending on your broiler, the distance from the pan, it may take 20-25 minutes to cook.
- You may find that slices that are directly under the broiler cook much faster than those at the far corners of the pan. Keep a close eye on the pans and rotate the slices on the cookie sheet. Remove slices individually as they are done cooking and place on a large platter or serving plate. Don’t be afraid to overlap slices on the serving plate. It works just fine for serving and will be more appetizing.
- While the eggplant is broiling, finely chop the tomatoes and place them into a medium size mixing boil. Finely chop the green onions and put the garlic cloves through a press or mince them by hand and place in the bowl with tomatoes. Remove the capers from the jar with a slotted spoon, so that they drain. Chop the capers and mix into the bowl with other ingredients. Make sure that stems are removed from the basil leaves, then chop the basil and place in bowl.
- Pour olive oil and vinegar into the bowl and mix with the other ingredients.
- Allow the eggplant to cool a few minutes. Then, spoon the tomato vinaigrette sauce over the eggplant. Serve immediately with sliced bread or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. If you refrigerate this dish, be sure to take it out of the fridge a few minutes before serving, so that it warms up. You will not taste the rich flavours of this dish if it is served ice cold.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 15g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 89mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra