Caprese salad (Italian: Insalata Caprese) is a simple Italian salad, made of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and sweet basil, seasoned with salt and olive oil; it is usually arranged on a plate in restaurant practice. Like pizza Margherita, it features the colours of the Italian flag: green, white, and red. In Italy, it is usually served as an antipasto (starter), not a contorno (side dish).
Caprese Salad - Insalata Caprese
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup small basil leaves, or torn if larger leaves are being used
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- freshly grated black pepper, to taste
- Remove any stems from the tomatoes if you are using truss tomatoes and then cut them in half.
- Arrange the tomatoes, grated cheese and basil leaves on a platter.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Season with pepper and serve.