Try our authentic Spanish style espinacas con garbanzos recipe (spinach and chickpea stew) for an inexpensive, quick and easy Spanish appetiser or side-dish recipe
Espinacas con Garbanzos - Spinach and Chickpeas
- 280 g cooked chickpeas , see notes
- 900 g fresh spinach
- 2 slices toast bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled, crushed or finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- salt and smoked paprika, to taste
- Cook the spinach in water with a pinch of salt. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the bread cubes. Stir-fry to a golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the fried bread with two tablespoons of chickpeas to form a paste.(see notes)
- Gently fry the peeled garlic and chopped onion until golden, then add a little smoked paprika (about ½ teaspoon ), followed by the bread and chickpea paste. Stir to combine. (see notes)
- Add the drained spinach, parsley and the remaining chickpeas. Stir to combine.
- Allow to cook gently for 15 minutes (check seasoning after 7 minutes and adjust to taste).
- Serve warm as an appetiser or side dish.
Cooks Notes & Variations
At Step 4 - ½ teaspoon ground cumin can be added with the paprika if desired.
If using Dried Chickpeas - Place chickpeas in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside overnight to soak. Drain chickpeas and place in a saucepan with 1 litre (4 cups) of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes or until cooked. Drain and set aside.
Rate this Recipe