Fattoush (Arabic: فتوش, also fattush, fatush, fattoosh, and fattouche) is a Levantine bread salad made from toasted or fried pieces of pita bread (khubz ‘arabi) combined with mixed greens and other vegetables, such as radishes and tomatoes. Fattoush belongs to the family of dishes known as fattat (plural) or fatta, which use stale flatbread as a base.[no_toc]
Fattoush includes vegetables and herbs according to season and taste. The vegetables are cut into relatively large pieces compared to Tabbouleh which requires ingredients to be finely chopped. Sumac is usually used to give fattoush its sour taste.
- Pita – toasted or fried
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Red Cabbage
- Black Pepper
- Green Olives
- Black Olives
- Green Peppers
- Red Peppers
- 2 pita breads, halved, toasted until golden brown, broken into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped, or 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, quartered lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small head cos lettuce, trimmed, cut crosswise into 1½ cm strips
- ½ cup radish, finely diced <em>(optional)</em>
- ½ red capsicum (bell pepper), finely diced <em>(optional)</em>
- ½ green capsicum (bell pepper), finely diced <em>(optional)</em>
- 6 spring onions (scallions), finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 cups <em>, loosely packed</em> flat-leaf parsley leaves
- sumac, optional</em>
- 3 tablespoons<em>, or more</em> fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons <em>, or more </em>white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried mint
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place toasted pita pieces in a medium bowl; pour oil over and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt. Set aside.
- Mix tomatoes and next 8 ingredients <em>(or whatever you choose to use)</em> in a large bowl. Add ¾ of the dressing; toss to coat, adding more dressing by tablespoonfuls as needed. Season with salt.
- Add the torn pita and toss through once.
- Sprinkle sumac over, if desired.
For the dressing
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and combine.
- Gradually add oil, whisking constantly, until well blended.
- Season with salt; add more lemon juice and/or vinegar to taste, if desired.
Coating the toasted pita in olive oil prevents it from getting soggy when mixed with the vegetables and dressing.
Related Recipes and Culinary Information
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.