Stuffed cabbage leaves, or kelem dolmasi, is one of the many stuffed delicacies from the Azerbaijani dolma repertoire.
Kalam Dolmasi - Cabbage Leaf Dolma
- 600 g lamb
- 80 g basmati rice
- 60 g onion
- 900 g cabbage
- 250 g chestnuts
- 60 g fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 200 g tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 20 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- Mince the lamb and onions. Add rice, shelled and chopped chestnuts, tomatoes, chopped coriander, pepper and salt to the mince and mix well.
- Simmer the whole cabbage in boiling water and peel off the leaves. Fold each leaf around the filling into a square or sausage shape.
- Make 3 dolma for each serving. Place them in a saucepan and cook by adding stock or water. Pour a sauce made of the sugar and vinegar over the dolma 20 minutes before they are cooked.
- Serve cabbage dolma with some of the cooking liquid spooned on top and cinnamon sprinkled over.
Cooks Notes & Variations
Rate this Recipe