Pineapple bun is a combination of soft bun with a butter pastry topping. While enjoying the softness of the bun, we are also able to savour the sinfully fragrant butter pastry and this is really irresistible. And this pineapple bun is always great to be taken hot-off-the-oven so baking it yourself will allow you to pop the bun into the mouth as soon as it is out of the oven. It is best to go with a cup of green tea.
For the bun :
- 500 g bread flour
- 10 g yeast
- 2 tablespoon milk powder
- 60 g fine sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 60 g butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg
For pastry topping :
- 80 g butter
- 30 g shortening
- 80 g icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 200 g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
For egg wash :
- 1 egg, lightly beaten and sieved
- 1 tablespoon water
Procedure for the bun
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk powder and yeast till combine.
- Add water and egg to flour mixture and use a dough hook to knead on medium speed till combine. (about 5 minutes)
- Gradually add in butter and knead till smooth and elastic. (Dough should be shining and elastic, kneading time is about 10-15 minutes)
- Leave dough to proof for about 40 minutes or double in size.
- While dough is proofing, prepare the pastry topping.
Procedure for the topping
- Beat butter, vanilla essence and sieved icing sugar till light.
- Add in egg.
- Fold in flour.
- Refrigerate the dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes for easier handling.
To make the bun
- Scale the bread dough into 50g (1¾oz) each and mold into a ball.
- Leave to proof for about 45 minutes or double in size. Glaze it with egg wash.
- Divide the topping into 20-30g (¾-1 oz) each. On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin and roll it out thinly into a circle.
- Gently put the pastry topping on to of the glazed bun. Glaze again.
- Bake at 210°C. (410°F ; Gas Mark 7) for 12-15 minutes.