Green tea ice cream (抹茶アイスクリーム Matcha aisu kurīmu ) or matcha ice (抹茶のアイスクリーム Matcha no aisu kurīmu) is a Japanese ice cream flavour.
- Mix hot water and green tea powder together in a bowl and set aside.
- Lightly whisk egg yolks in a pan. Add sugar in the pan and mix well.
- Gradually add milk in the pan and mix well.
- Put the pan on low heat and heat the mixture, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture is thickened, remove the pan from the heat.
- Soak the bottom of the pan in ice water and cool the mixture.
- Add green tea in the egg mixture and mix well, cooling in ice water.
- Add whipped heavy cream in the mixture and stir gently.
- Pour the mixture in an ice cream maker and freeze, following instructions of the ice cream maker. Or, pour the mixture in a container and freeze, stirring the ice cream a few times.