Larb (or Laab) is a warm salad that can be made with minced chicken, beef, pork or turkey. Though we call it a salad with all of the freshness from lime, mint leaves and coriander, Larb can be eaten with sticky rice or different vegetables such as cabbage. Try this Laab recipe as a side dish for your meal or as the main coarse…simply delicious!
- 500 g chicken mince
- 1 large lime , juice only of lime
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, or fish sauce – plus more (to taste), for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon rice, dry roasted until brown and roughly crushed
- 1 large shallot, sliced thinly
- 2 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- 2 green chillies, or to taste, chopped
- 1 handful mint leaves, chopped
- 1 handful fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes (red pepper flakes), to taste
- salt, optional, to taste
- 1 lime, for garnish, optional
- Add the juice of 1 lime to chicken mince, mix well allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Add oil to a pan and heat on medium heat.
- Add chicken and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (or fish sauce).
- Mix and cook chicken until no more pink is seen and all moisture has evaporated. Stir constantly.
- In a separate bowl, add shallots, green chillies, spring onions, mint leaves and coriander.
- Add cooked chicken and mix well.
- Add fresh lime juice to taste and additional fish or soy sauce as needed.
- Add chilli flakes to taste and mix in crushed toasted rice.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Video – How to make Laab Gai – Spicy Chicken Salad
Related Recipes and Culinary Information
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.