Sweet chilli sauce is a popular condiment in Western, Thai and Malaysian cuisine. It is commonly made with chillies and some sweetening ingredient such as fruit or a refined sugar.
In Australia, ‘Thai sweet chilli sauce’ is extremely popular and available as a condiment at almost all takeaway stores and supermarkets. This sauce’s taste complements many Asian dishes including poultry and meat.
Homemade Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 250 g large red chillies, de-seeded, if desired,and chopped
- 3 cups sugar
- 3½ cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves, reduce heat and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes, then pour into sterilised jars and seal.
- Store in a cool, dry and dark place for up to 2 years. The sauce can be eaten immediately.
Rate this Recipe