Thai Pineapple Chicken Curry is a quick, easy, and authentic Thai curry dish that’s sweet and very spicy. It can be made as a side dish, or for a full course meal.
Thai food is unique in that it has created this perfectly well balanced harmony of five flavours that are present in every dish or in every meal. The flavours are salty, sweet, sour, bitter and spicy, not particularly to that order. Some examples of how the flavours are brought into a dish can be: salty – from shrimp paste or fish sauce ; sweet – from sugar or sweet fruits ; sour – from lemon or lime juice ; bitter – from bitter melons or aromatic herbs and green vegetables ; and spicy – from chillies or the curry paste. Though not included in the 5 main flavours but common in many dishes is the sweet and creaminess of coconut milk.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, bite-size pieces
- ½ cup bamboo shoots
- 12 red cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar <em>, if using canned pineapple omit this</em>
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 red chilli pepper, sliced , extra spicy, optional
- Fresh coriander or basil leaves, to garnish, optional
- On separate cutting boards dice the pineapple and chicken into thick bite size pieces.
- In a large pan or wok warm up oil, then add the chicken and cook all the way through.
- Next add the ginger and garlic , cook for a few minutes then add the curry paste stir to combine with chicken.
- Then add the chicken broth, sugar, turmeric , bamboo shoots and fish sauce. At this point you can also add the extra chilli pepper if you are using it.
- Under medium heat cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stir, next add the cherry tomatoes and pineapple, cook for another 5-8 minutes at which point the tomatoes should be soft.
- Serve hot. with a couple of fresh basil or coriander leaves for decoration. Serve with steamed white rice