Chinese invented fried rice but we think it’s the genius of the Thais that make fried rice sinfully delicious — they concocted pineapple fried rice. With the addition of fresh pineapple, flavoured with shrimp paste, fish sauce, and comes in a hollowed out pineapple, pineapple fried rice is the only fried rice you’ll really wanted to eat. Not only does it look visually appealing, the taste is simply mouthwatering and utterly appetising.
- 225 g leftover and overnight rice
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 115 g fresh pineapple , cut into small pieces
- 115 g shrimp , shelled and deveined, leave whole or cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ tablespoon pineapple juice
- ¼ teaspoon soy sauce , for colouring
- 1 fresh red chilli , seeded and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, for garnishing
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts , optional
- 2 tablespoons raisins , optional
- Heat up a wok and add cooking oil. Stir-fry garlic, red chilli, and shrimp paste until aromatic.
- Add shrimp and stir-fry until half-cooked.
- Add rice, pineapple pieces, pineapple juice, and do a few quick stirs.
- Add fish sauce and soy sauce to blend well with rice. Stir-fry for another minute or so, dish out and serve immediately.