- 4 chicken Marylands
- 6 cm piece fresh ginger
- 2 red chillies, de-seeded <em>(leave in the seeds or add more chillies if more spiciness is desired)</em>
- 3 Asian shallots
- 1 teaspoon salt
For coconut sauce
- 5 Asian shallots
- 2 fresh red chillies, de-seeded
- 3 cm knob fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar <em>, or palm sugar</em>
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk
- Make cuts in skin and meat of chicken. Set aside.
- Grind marinade ingredients into a paste and rub into chicken. Grill on rack under high heat <em>(or on a BBQ)</em> until the skin is charred in places, turn and repeat on other side.
- <em><strong>While this is happening make the sauce:</strong></em> Chop the spice paste ingredients and blend finely.
- Heat oil in a pot and fry the spice paste for 3 - 4 minutes until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk and simmer, stirring, until reduced by half.
- Season with salt and cook for 5 - 7 minutes until sauce thickens.
- <strong><em>To complete the dish:</em></strong> Coat each piece of grilled chicken in the sauce and then finish cooking by roasting at 250°C for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. <em>Baste a few times with more sauce as it cooks or bring remaining sauce to simmer in pot and serve alongside chicken when cooked. </em>
Rate this Recipe
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0% | Vitamin C: 0% | Calcium: 0% | Iron: 0%