Enjoy the spicy flavours of the Caribbean with these lovely marinated and barbecued chicken thighs served with a healthy black bean salad.
Barbecued Jerk Chicken with Black Bean Salad
- 8 small chicken thigh cutlets, with skin on
For the marinade
For black bean salad
- 425 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), bell pepper, cut into thin strips
To serve (optional)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Marinate the chicken
- Combine thyme, garlic, allspice, ginger and chilli in a mortar and pound to a paste using the pestle.
- Add parsley and continue to pound to a paste.
- Stir in honey and lemon juice and season to taste.
- Deeply score chicken through the skin 3-4 times and place on tray. Pour the marinade over chicken and rub into chicken. Stand at room temperature for at least 10 minutes while making the black bean salad and heating the barbecue (Heat a barbecue grill or flat plate to a medium heat).
For the black bean salad
- Combine the black beans, red onion, lemon juice and ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a large salad bowl. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Combine capsicum strips and the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil in another bowl.
- Tip the capsicum strips onto the pre-heated barbecue flat plate and cook until charred and soft, and then add to the salad bowl. Toss to combine.
To cook the chicken
- Add chicken pieces to the grill, cover with an upturned roasting pan or barbecue lid and cook for 10-12 minutes on each side or until charred and cooked through.
- Transfer to a tray. Rest covered with foil for 15 minutes.
- Serve jerk chicken with black bean salad and lemon wedges.
Rate this Recipe