Grilled BBQ steak with chimichurri sauce is a great dish to launch the barbecue season – a vibrant sauce from Argentina which is perfect with barbecued beef. Chimichurri is the quintessential partner to grilled beef in Argentina, where the beef is renowned and where barbecued beef is considered their national dish.
BBQ Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- 1.3 kg barbecue steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For chimichurri sauce
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons , juice only of lemon, from ½ lemon
- ¾ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Fire up the barbecue or preheat a ridged grill pan until very hot.
- Rub the steaks with the olive oil and season them with salt. Grill the steaks for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for a medium-rare to medium, or longer for medium-well or well done.
- Serve with chimichurri sauce
To make the Chimichurri
- Place the vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, oregano, and garlic in a blender and puree. With the motor running, add the olive oil, blending until the sauce comes together. Add the red pepper flakes and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Serve at room temperature.