Take chocolate to the tropics and mix it up with coconut and you’ll come up with something like our quick and easy coconut rough slices. These taste very similar to the coconut roughs you buy in the shops.
- For the chocolate rough:
- 1½ cups self raising flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1½ cups desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 200 g butter, melted
For the chocolate icing:
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 25 g butter
- 2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 - 3 tablespoons extra desiccated coconut, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 20 x 30 cm sponge roll tin with non stick baking spray.
- Mix all the chocolate rough ingredients in a large bowl. Press into the prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes. Cool in the tin while you make the icing.
- Place the water and butter in a microwave proof jug or small bowl. Cook in the microwave on high for 30 – 40 seconds until the butter is melted. Beat in the icing sugar and cocoa until smooth, adding a little extra icing sugar if required.
- Spread over the chocolate rough while still warm in the tin. Sprinkle over the coconut and cut into squares but leave to completely set and go cold in the tin before removing. Store in an airtight container.