This staple bread for Mexican sandwiches is made in bakeries all over Mexico, with a soft texture inside, and a crispy crust on the outside. Telera rolls show up at any meal, split and adorned with any number of luscious fillings. Telera are most often used for the Mexican sandwich known as a torta, which usually contains mashed avocado, a spread made of black beans or refried beans, pickled jalapeños, lettuce, tomato, and onion.
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lard, shortening, or butter, melted and cooled
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3½ to 4 cups unbleached plain flour
- 1 egg beaten with ¾ tablespoon water
- In a large bowl or the pan of your bread machine set on the dough cycle, combine the yeast, water, honey, melted fat, salt, and 3½ cups of the flour. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Check the dough consistency; if the dough sticks to your finger when you touch it lightly, add ¼ cup of the additional flour and mix for another minute. Check the dough again, adding the remaining ¼ cup of flour only if you need it; the dough should be soft, but not sticky.
- Knead for 6 to 8 minutes at medium speed in a stand mixer, or 10 minutes by hand, until it's smooth and bouncy.
- Cover the bowl and let rise for 1 hour, until doubled, or let the bread machine complete its cycle.
- Once the dough has risen, deflate it and divide into 10 pieces, roll into balls, and cover the pieces.
- Let them rest for 5 minutes before shaping the rolls into a a round or slightly oblong shape; the rolls should be about 2½ cm thick and around 14 cm long.
- Place the rolls onto a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with greased plastic. Allow the rolls to rise while turning the oven on and preheating to 200°C
- When the rolls are almost doubled in size, brush the tops and sides with egg wash. Using a greased knife, slash the rolls twice parallel to each other. Press down firmly with each slice.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until golden brown and the centres read 90°C with an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven and cool completely before using.