Try this omelette that packs a powerful protein punch and makes for an ideal lunch or perfect light supper eaten cold in slices, or cut into squares.
Broad Bean and Bacon Frittata
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4Print Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- 250 g fresh, unshelled broad beans
- 150 g streaky bacon rashers, diced
- 6 eggs
- 75 g Gruyère cheese, grated
- 15 g butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the broad beans in a saucepan of boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Shell the beans and discard the skins if necessary. (Very small, young beans can be left as they are.)
- Heat a 20cm heavy based non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Dry fry the bacon until cooked and beginning to brown. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. (Wipe the pan out with paper towels to get rid of any excess fat.)
- Put the eggs and about ⅔ of the Gruyère cheese into a bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper, and beat lightly.
- Put the frying pan back on a medium heat and add the butter. When the butter has melted and is beginning to froth, add the beans and bacon followed by the egg and cheese mixture. Stir gently with a fork to combine, then leave to cook over a very low heat until set but still a little runny on top.
- Heat the grill. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the omelette and grill until the top has set.
- Serve the omelette warm or at room-temperature, cut into wedges, accompanied by a crisp salad.
Rate this Recipe
Serving: 4g | Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 321mg | Sodium: 505mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg