Servings: 8 slices
- Baking Paper
- 23 cm (9") Round Springform Cake Tin
- Food Processor (optional)
- 1½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 110 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 20 walnut halves
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced (335°F ; Gas Mark 4).
- Butter a 23 cm (9") round springform cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Combine the sugar, flour and nutmeg in a large bowl or a food processor. Add the butter and cut in with a knife or blitz in the food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Place half in the cake tin.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl, add the milk and bicarbonate of soda, then blend into the remaining flour mixture. Pour over the dry crumbly mixture in the cake tin.
- Place the walnut halves on top and bake for about 45 minutes (see Note 1).
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before carefully turning out. Serve.
- The cake will be cooked when it springs back if pressed gently.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 396kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 168mg | Potassium: 138mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 410IU | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra