Fluffy cream cheese frosting sprinkled with chopped walnuts make the ultimate topping for this moist and classically flavoured carrot cake.
- ¾ cup plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots, peeled
- 560 g crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts plus ¼ cup for topping
For the cream cheese frosting
- 225 g Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175°C. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Add grated carrots and pineapple; mix well. Fold wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together. Fold in ¼ cup chopped nuts.
- Spoon batter into an 20cm x 7.5cm cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 175°C for about 40-50 minutes, depending on pan size or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting over top of cake. Garnish with remaining chopped walnuts.