Do you go bananas over cheesecake ? If so then this banana cheesecake will settle you down ! A lovely vanilla flavoured cookie-crumb base with a creamy banana filling.
For the cheesecake crust
- 20 vanilla cream-filled sandwich style cookies
- ¼ cup margarine, melted
For the filling
- 680 g cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup mashed banana
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- shredded coconut, for topping (optional)
- Use a blender to finely chop the cookies. Add margarine and blend until they are well combines.
- Press mixture into the bottom of a 23 cm springform pan and smooth it out. Refrigerate the crust while you make the filling.
- Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until creamy. Beat in sugar and cornflour followed by the eggs (one at a time).
- Beat in the bananas, whipping cream, and vanilla. Pour mixture into crust.
- Place pan on a baking sheet and bake in a 175°C oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 95°C and bake an additional 75 minutes, or until centre is almost set, adding coconut for the last 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing rim of pan. (Before removing the pan, run warm water over a knife and slide a knife around the edge of the cake to separate the cake from the pan cleanly.)
- Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 6 hours.