- 6 pieces skin-on chicken thighs, rinse and drain well, prick chicken all over with a fork.
- sufficient water to cover chicken, or coconut milk
- 3 stalks lemongrass, white portion only, crushed
- 120 g galangal, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cm piece fresh turmeric, crushed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, pounded (stir-fry coriander seeds over a low heat until fragrant then grind coarsely)
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, crushed
- 4 salam leaves, Indonesian bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- oil, for deep frying
- fried tempeh
- fried beancurd
- 1 bunch spring onions (scallions), or fresh coriander
- 1 cucumber
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Combine all ingredients in pot except for chicken and oil. Mix well and taste. Add chicken with enough water to cover the chicken.
- Place pot on stove. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until chicken cooked. Remove chicken pieces. Drain and cool.
- Strain the soup. (Set aside the broth to be used as a soup. Use the remaining strained ingredients to marinate the chicken).
- Add a little of the broth and the reserved strained ingredients to the boiled and cooled chicken. Store in the fridge.
- Deep-fry chicken in oil over medium heat till cooked through and lightly golden brown.
- Drain in a sieve lined with paper towels. Smash the chicken thigh with a wooden mallet. (beware of hot oil splattering)
- Spoon a bowl of cooked jasmine rice on a plate. Garnish the rice with spring onions or fresh coriander.
- Place one chicken thigh, 2 slices fried tempeh, 2 slices fried beancurd, some salad and sliced cucumber onto the plate and drizzle some kalamansi juices over them.
- Spoon sambal assam onto the side of plate
- Fill a small bowl with the chicken soup.
- Serve hot.
The marinating recipe is very versatile. Most are optional ingredients and substitutable, therefore, feel free to add or minus the quantities or ingredients stated to suit your taste buds.
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra