Ayam Penyet - Smashed Fried Chicken
Ayam penyet (Javanese for: smashed fried chicken) (印尼炸鸡 is Indonesian — more precisely East Javanese cuisine — fried chicken dish consisting of fried chicken that is smashed with the pestle against mortar to make it softer, served with sambal, slices of cucumbers, fried tofu and tempeh. In Indonesia penyet dishes, such as fried chicken and ribs are commonly associated with Surabaya, the capital city of East Java.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6Print Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe Add to My Saved Recipes Go to Saved Recipes
- 6 pieces skin-on chicken thighs, rinse and drain well, prick chicken all over with a fork.
- sufficient water to cover chicken, or coconut milk
- 3 stalks lemongrass, white portion only, crushed
- 120 g galangal, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cm piece fresh turmeric, crushed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, pounded (stir-fry coriander seeds over a low heat until fragrant then grind coarsely)
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, crushed
- 4 salam leaves, Indonesian bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- oil, for deep frying
- fried tempeh
- fried beancurd
- 1 bunch spring onions (scallions), or fresh coriander
- 1 cucumber
- Combine all ingredients in pot except for chicken and oil. Mix well and taste. Add chicken with enough water to cover the chicken.
- Place pot on stove. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until chicken cooked. Remove chicken pieces. Drain and cool.
- Strain the soup. (Set aside the broth to be used as a soup. Use the remaining strained ingredients to marinate the chicken).
- Add a little of the broth and the reserved strained ingredients to the boiled and cooled chicken. Store in the fridge.
- Deep-fry chicken in oil over medium heat till cooked through and lightly golden brown.
- Drain in a sieve lined with paper towels. Smash the chicken thigh with a wooden mallet. (beware of hot oil splattering)
- Spoon a bowl of cooked jasmine rice on a plate. Garnish the rice with spring onions or fresh coriander.
- Place one chicken thigh, 2 slices fried tempeh, 2 slices fried beancurd, some salad and sliced cucumber onto the plate and drizzle some kalamansi juices over them.
- Spoon sambal assam onto the side of plate
- Fill a small bowl with the chicken soup.
- Serve hot.
Cooks Notes & Variations
The marinating recipe is very versatile. Most are optional ingredients and substitutable, therefore, feel free to add or minus the quantities or ingredients stated to suit your taste buds.
Add to My Saved Recipes Go to Saved Recipes Rate this Recipe