Chicken pieces are infused with lemon, garlic, fresh fennel and tarragon during baking to make a sharply piquant fully flavoured meal.
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken Maryland
- ¾ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 - 10 small sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Heat a heavy ovenproof casserole dish on a stovetop over high heat.
- Score the chicken skin at regular intervals, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add to the dish and cook for 6–8 minutes on each side or until well browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the tarragon, lemon zest, garlic and fennel to the dish and cook for 2–3 minutes or until golden.
- Return the chicken to the dish with the wine and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Serve with the lemon wedges.
Rate this Recipe