Chaulafan is an Ecuadorian version of fried rice. In most major cities in Ecuador you will find chifas or Chinese restaurants which are usually the best places to eat chaulafan; you can either eat at the restaurant or get it as a takeaway meal. Like Chinese fried rice there are many different types of chaulafan such as shrimp, chicken, pork, and combination.
For the chicken stock
- 2.25 kg whole chickens or chicken pieces
- 10 cups water
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro)
For the rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, diced
- 3¼ cups chicken stock , from cooking the chicken
- 3 cups uncooked rice
For the vegetables
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 115 g pancetta or bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon achiote powder
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1 green capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 2 cooked carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup raisins
- 6 eggs, cooked as an omelette and cut into pieces or strips
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander or parsley
- 2 bunches spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
- Bring the water, carrots, onions, celery and coriander sprigs to boil in a large pot, add the chicken and cook over medium heat for about 1 hour or until the chicken is very tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the stock and save the stock for cooking the rice.
- To cook the rice, heat 3 tablespoons butter, add the onions and the rice, stir well. Then add the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile debone the chicken and reserve the chicken meat for later.
- Heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a large pan to prepare a base for the chaulafan. Add the chopped onions, diced pancetta, crushed garlic, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, cumin, coriander, black pepper, and achiote powder; cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the onions are soft. Stir frequently.
- Add the cooked rice, chicken meat, and diced capsicums. Stir well and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining soy sauce, remaining Worcestershire sauce, cooked eggs, peas, carrots, and raisins. Mix well.
- Add the chopped herbs and spring onions.
- Serve with avocado slices, aji or hot sauce, and spicy ketchup.