KFC uses pressure cookers to fry chicken, which is risky to do at home. If you are using a deep fryer, fry a few pieces at a time for about 20 minutes, covered, turning occasionally. Likewise, if pan frying, cook, covered, turning occasionally for about 30 minutes. As always with chicken, check the middle of a large piece to check for doneness. Allow to drain on paper towels when cooking is completed.
KFC Extra Crispy Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, cut up and marinated - see KFC Chicken Marinade
- 6 - 8 cups shortening, for cooking
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon chicken stock powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- Marinate the chicken in the chicken marinade. (This process can take up to 24 hours to complete and is optional but recommended)
- Trim any excess skin and fat from the chicken pieces. Preheat the shortening in a deep-fryer to 175°C.
- Combine the beaten egg and milk in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, combine the remaining coating ingredients (flour, salt, pepper and chicken stock powder).
- When the chicken has marinated, transfer each piece to paper towels so that excess liquid can drain off.
- Working with one piece at a time, first dip in egg and milk then coat the chicken with the dry flour mixture, then the egg and milk mixture again, and then back into the flour. Be sure that each piece is coated very generously. Stack the chicken on a plate or baking tray until each piece has been coated.
- Drop the chicken, one piece at a time into the hot shortening.
- Fry half of the chicken at a time (4 pieces) for 12-15 minutes, or until it is golden brown. You should be sure to stir the chicken around halfway through the cooking time so that each piece cooks evenly.
- Remove the chicken to a rack or towels to drain for about 5 minutes before eating.
Rate this Recipe