Servings: 6 servings
- Food Processor
- Large Heavy-bottomed Saucepan
- Rolling Pin
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 red chilli, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 6 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 cm piece galangal, peeled and roughly sliced
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly sliced
- water, as needed to form paste
- 2½ tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass , trimmed
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 5 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1.25 kg skin-on chicken drumsticks, or thighs or both, patted dry
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 limes, sliced, for garnish
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- In a food processor, blitz the coriander seeds until finely ground.
- Add chopped chilli, shallots, garlic, galangal and ginger and process to a smooth paste, adding a tablespoon or so of water if needed. (see Note 1)
- Heat peanut oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. When oil is just hot enough to gently sizzle a pinch of paste, add all ot the paste and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. (If necessary reduce the pot heat to prevent browning)
- Using a rolling pin crush the lemongrass stalk lightly until just pliable. Tie into a knot.
- Add the knotted lemongrass, cinnamon sticks and kaffir lime leaves to the pot and cook for one minute more, until the cinnamon is fragrant.
- Scrape paste to one side and add chicken to pot. Raise heat and brown chicken lightly on both sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Add 1 cup coconut milk, 1¼ cups water and salt, stirring well and scraping off the browned bits from the bottom of pot.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered 40 - 50 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened. Do not boil.
- Add remaining cup of coconut milk and heat through. Adjust salt according to taste.
- The paste ingredients can also be chopped finely, then worked into a paste with a mortar and pestle.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 496kcal | Carbohydrates: 14.5g | Protein: 27.6g | Fat: 38.2g | Saturated Fat: 21.3g | Cholesterol: 128.4mg | Sodium: 552.3mg | Potassium: 680.7mg | Fiber: 4.3g | Sugar: 5.5g | Vitamin A: 146.8IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 62.8mg | Iron: 3.1mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra