Anchovy essence is a pink-coloured, thick, oily sauce, consisting of pounded anchovies, spices, etc. The essence is used as a flavouring for soups, sauces, and other dishes. Anchovy essence is a handy cupboard staple that will anonymously enhance just about anything savoury that you choose to cook. Your dish will have no hint of fish; it will, however, taste more like itself.
- In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Set aside and let the mixture cool completely.
- Strain the cooled mixture through a fine sieve and discard the solids.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to one month
Rate this Recipe