Servings: 6 jars
- 1¼ kg green cucumbers, peeled, centre row of seeds removed, and finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 small red capsicum (bell pepper), finely diced
- 1 small green capsicum (bell pepper), finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- ¼ cup salt
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Place the diced cucumbers, onion, capsicums, and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Combine with the salt and pour water over the mixture until covered. Let sit for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain the cucumber mixture in a colander, rinse thoroughly with water, and drain again.
- In a large stock pot, add the sugar, vinegar, and spices and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the drained cucumber mixture and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
- Ladle the hot relish into hot sterile jars, leaving ½ cm (¼") of headspace. Wipe the rims of the jars clean and seal tightly with the lids.
- Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Sanitise and clean glass jars with steaming hot water, or by running them through the dishwasher.
- As you're cooking the relish liquid, fill a separate water bath pot with water. Put on stove at high heat and cover so that it will be boiling by the time you are ready to use for the Water Bath Preserving.
- Put preserving jar lid tops in hot water to soften wax around rims for an easier seal.
- Wipe rims of filled jars with a clean cloth. Place lids from hot water on jar top, hold securely in place and screw on bands.
- Place jars in boiling hot water bath using a jar lifter. Process (leaving jars fully submerged under water) in water bath for 15 min. Remove from boiling water and let cool.
Serving: 1jar | Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1900mg | Potassium: 491mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 580IU | Vitamin C: 34.8mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 1.5mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra