Serve this fabulous-looking Beetroot dip with Turkish bread or pita chips at your next BBQ or party. It also makes a great sandwich filler.
- 5 red beetroot , about 1 kg
- 1¼ cups , 325 g plain low-fat yoghurt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- pepper, to taste
- Cut off the beetroot stems 1 cm from the roots (no closer). Scrub the roots very gently but thoroughly, being careful not to nick the skin.
- Cook the beetroot in a large pot of simmering, salted water for 40–60 minutes until tender. Drain. Allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cool slightly and rub off the skins. It is a good idea to wear rubber gloves when doing this to prevent your hands from becoming stained.
- Finely chop, grate or process the beetroot in a food processor, then transfer the flesh to a serving bowl.
- Add the yoghurt, garlic, lemon juice, oil, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and paprika to the beetroot and mix well. Season to taste with pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required. Serve with warm crusty bread.