Filfel Chuma, (Hebrew: פלפלצ’ומה), also spelled pilpelshuma (lit: “pepper garlic”) is the typical hot sauce of Libyan Jewish cuisine. It is made from powdered sweet and hot peppers and crushed garlic. Other ingredients, such as ground caraway seeds, cumin, lemon juice and salt are sometimes added.
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup oil, plus more to cover
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix the ingredients into a smooth paste. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Transfer to a sterilised jar, cover with 2 tablespoons of oil to prevent spoilage, and store in the refrigerator.