- 1 green (unripe) mango, ripe but firm, about450 -500 g
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 5 cm in length
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 whole dry red chillies, up to 3
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup demerara sugar
- ½ cup malt vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Cut the mango into 2 cm cubes and for chunky chutney, keep some pieces about 5 cm. If you are looking for a smooth chutney, cut them all to the same size.
- Using a piece of muslin cloth, tie up the spices into a bundle. Cook the mango, spices <em>(in the muslin cloth)</em>, water, ginger and garlic until the mango is tender. Some pieces will disintegrate into the water. <em>(About 10 minutes)</em>.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, salt and dry chillies. Break 1 red chilli into flakes and keep the other whole. If you want youcan add more chilli at this stage. The sugar requirement may also vary depending on the sweetness of your mango and personal preference. Feel free to reduce or add to your liking.
- Cook for about 30 -35 minutes until the chutney is thickened. Squeeze every bit you can from the cloth and discard it. Transfer to sterilized jars while still hot. Don’t put the lid, until the chutney cools. It keeps well for 4 weeks in the refrigerator.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra