Pineapple Satay Sauce
This pineapple satay sauce is the perfect accompaniment for your next pork dish. Try it with skewered pork pieces straight off the BBQ.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4Print Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- 100 g raw peanuts
- 3 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- 3-4 dried long red chillies
- 3 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 1 cm piece galangal, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon belacan
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 100 g crushed fresh pineapple , if using canned pineapple, drain thouroughly
- 2 teaspoon palm sugar, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread peanuts on an oven tray, roast until golden (10-15 minutes), cool slightly, peel, coarsely chop.
- Combine tamarind and 250ml water in a bowl, set aside.
- Place chilli in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water, stand until soft (10-15 minutes), drain, transfer to a food processor.
- Add shallots, lemongrass, galangal, turmeric and belacan, process until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add shallot mixture, sauté until fragrant (4-5 minutes).
- Strain tamarind mixture into pan (discard pulp), add coconut milk, pineapple, palm sugar and peanuts, bring to the boil, reduce heat to low-medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and oil rises to surface (10-15 minutes).
- Season to taste, cool to room temperature.
- To serve, garnish with finely chopped peanuts and red chillies
Rate this Recipe