Servings: 146 tablespoons (Approx 12 x 250ml jars)
- 800 g cucumbers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 400 g chopped white onion
- 200 g chopped red capsicums (bell peppers)
- 200 g chopped green capsicums (bell peppers)
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1200 ml water plus 3 tablespoons water
- 700 g sugar
- 450 ml white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- a couple of drops of Blue No.1. food colouring, not green as you might think
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Put all the chopped ingredients in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle salt on top.
- Cover with water and leave overnight.
- In the morning drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Press to get as much juice out as possible.
- In a large pot combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed & mustard seed.
- Bring to the boil; add chopped ingredients back to mixture, return to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour with 60ml (2 fl oz) of water. Add to mixture gradually to thicken slowly.
- Pour into prepared jars and seal.
If you want an authentic looking Chicago relish, add the food colouring.
Serving: 1tablespoon | Calories: 22.7kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.5g | Protein: 0.1g | Fat: 0.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 32.8mg | Potassium: 17.9mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 5.1g | Vitamin A: 51.9IU | Vitamin C: 3.2mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 0.1mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra