An important ingredient in the making of a Chicago-style Hot Dog is the neon green pickle relish. And if you live outside of Chicago it’s very hard to get hold of – so we have a recipe to make it yourself at home.
- 800 g cucumbers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 400 g chopped white onion
- 200 g chopped red capsicum
- 200 g chopped green capsicums (bell peppers)
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1200 ml water plus 3 tablespoons water
- 700 g sugar
- 450 ml white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- a couple of drops of Blue No.1. food colouring, not green as you might think
- Put all the chopped ingredients in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle salt on top.
- Cover with water and leave overnight.
- In the morning drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Press to get as much juice out as possible.
- In a large pot combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed & mustard seed.
- Bring to the boil; add chopped ingredients back to mixture, return to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour with 60ml of water. Add to mixture gradually to thicken slowly.
- Pour into prepared jars and seal.