Duck sauce is a condiment with a sweet and sour flavour and a translucent orange appearance similar to a thin jelly. Offered at Western Chinese restaurants, it is used as a dip for deep-fried dishes such as duck, chicken, fish, spring rolls, egg rolls, or with rice or noodles.
- 450 g plums, halved and pitted
- 450 g apricots, halved and pitted
- 1¼ cups apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 , or more Serrano chilli, seeded and chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed, toasted
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Combine first four ingredients and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Combine the second four ingredients and boil for 10 minutes.
- Combine the remaining seven ingredients.
- Combine the above three sets of ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon. Puree in food processor. Return to kettle and simmer until thick. Transfer to sterilized mason jar, cap loosely and let cool. Tighten caps and let stand in dark at least 2 weeks.