The guava paste’s sweetness along with spices and smokey rum blends well in this delicious BBQ sauce. It also makes a great marinade for meat and fish, or a spread for your burger or sandwich.
Guava Rum Sauce
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil
- 450 g onions, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup guava paste
- 1¼ cups water
- ⅓ cup Sriracha (chilli sauce)
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 2½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- pinch curry powder
- 1 star anise
- ½ habanero pepper, stemmed and seeded
- kosher salt, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and light brown around the edges, about 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the habanero and salt, then bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, 12 - 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender with the habanero. Purée until smooth, then season with salt. Allow to cool completely before using, then store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Rate this Recipe