- 12 dried ancho chillies
- 6 dried pasilla chillies
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup raw almonds
- ⅓ cup raw peanuts
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 2 slices day-old soft white bread, crusts trimmed
- 6 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 to matoes, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds, roasted
- ½ teaspoon each ground cloves and ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 litre , 4 cups chicken stock
- 95 gm Mexican drinking chocolate , or semi-sweet dark chocolate, 60% cocoa solids, finely chopped
- 1 cup, loosely packed coriander leaves
- To serve: see our tortilla-based recipes
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Cut the chillies in half lengthwise and reserve a tablespoon of the seeds. Discard the remaining seeds and stems.
- Heat half of the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and fry the chillies for about 3 minutes until toasted. Transfer to a bowl of warm water to soak for about 15 minutes until tender. Reserve the chilli-infused oil for step 3.
- Heat reserved oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and fry the nuts, raisins, and bread slices, until the bread is a golden brown toasted colour. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add remaining oil, then sauté the garlic and onions for 8-10 minutes until tender
- Add tomatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they have broken down.
- Drain the chillies, discarding the water, and blend with tomato mixture, nuts, raisins, bread, sesame seeds, spices, Mexican oregano and reserved chilli seeds in a blender. Add half the chicken stock and blend to a smooth paste, then pass mixture through a sieve, Discard solids and and set aside.
- Heat remaining stock in a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to the boil, then stir in mole mixture. Add chocolate and stir until well combined (2-3 minutes), season to taste. serve hot with tortillas.
In Australia, specialised Mexican ingredients can be found in South American grocery stores or online
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra