Xató is a typical Catalan sauce made with almonds, hazelnuts, breadcrumbs, vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt, and nyora pepper. It is often served with an endive salad prepared with anchovy, tuna and salted cod (bacallà). Romesco sauce is another nut based sauce from the cuisine of Catalonia .
- Prepare the dressing by crushing the garlic, almonds, and hazelnuts in an electric blender or use a pestle and mortar.
- Add the chilli pepper and/or cayenne and blend thoroughly.
- Gradually blend in the oil, then the vinegar and salt.
- The number of chillies or the amount of cayenne you use depends on how sharp you would like the sauce.
- When tasting the seasoning, bear in mind that the sauce will seem less sharp when mixed with the salad.