Fish served in a sorrel sauce is a staple of French cuisine and is especially good with salmon fillets. This sauce has a distinct lemony flavour.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add shallots and cook until soft.
- Add sorrel and cook gently until sorrel wilts.
- Add vermouth and cook until reduced slightly.
- Add cream and lemon juice, and cook over medium heat until sauce slightly thickens, about 6 to 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, distribute hot sorrel sauce in the centres of four large, heated plates, and place cooked fish fillets on top of the sauce. Garnish with finely chopped sorrel.