Homemade chutney or relish adds vibrant flavour to meat, cheese, or sandwiches, and can help use up a glut of seasonal produce. Carrot chutney is a unique type of chutney where the sweet, salt and hot blends and gives a different taste. It might look like grated or mashed carrot but this chutney is the perfect accompaniment for your next meat dish.
- ½ kg carrot, grated
- ½ teaspoon red chilli pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 blanched almonds, slit into halves
- 60 g raisins
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ teaspoon crushed cardamoms
- 1½ cups vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Scrape and grate the carrots, chop garlic and slice ginger into long strips.
- Put the grated carrots, water, garlic and ginger in a deep pan or degchi and cook on a low heat until tender and water is absorbed.
- Stir well.
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt, cleaned raisins, almonds and crushed cardamoms and cook till a little thick.
- Pour in a clean jar and seal tightly. Begin using after 2 days.