Tempero Caseiro - Brazilian Onion and Garlic Base
Because Brazilians use onions and garlic so much in their foods they have created an onion and garlic base to help them save time. This base, called tempero caseiro in Brazil, is a simple mix of onions, garlic, olive oil, and salt that can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate this Recipe
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup fresh parsley , optional
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, chopped (optional)
- ¾ tablespoon olive oil , more or less depending on desired consistency
- ¾ tablespoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel and chop the onion into quarters. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until you have a fine paste. If you want a more chunky paste, blend less.
- Pour the paste into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to one week.
Rate this Recipe
Cooks Notes & Variations
Tempero Caseiro also goes well as a sauce or condiment for chicken or fish