Served hot and crispy, these golden Hungry Jacks Style Onion Rings are the perfect treat for plunging into a classic sauce. We have the Hungry Jacks copycat recipes for both right here.
- 1 large onion, cut into 5 - 7 mm thick slices
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk, or as needed
- ¾ cup dry bread crumbs
- seasoned salt, to taste
- 1 litre oil for frying, or as needed
For onion ring sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1½ -2 teaspoons tomato sauce , tomato ketchup
- ½ - ¾ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons horseradish
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 185°C. Separate the onion slices into rings, and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated; set aside. Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork. Dip the floured rings into the batter to coat, then place on a wire rack to drain until the batter stops dripping. The wire rack may be placed over a sheet of aluminum foil for easier clean up.
- Spread the bread crumbs out on a plate or shallow dish. Place rings one at a time into the crumbs, and scoop the crumbs up over the ring to coat. Give it a hard tap as you remove it from the crumbs. The coating should cling very well. Repeat with remaining rings.
- Deep fry the rings a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Season with seasoning salt, and serve.
For onion ring spicy dipping sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well with a spoon or whisk. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before using. Do not adjust the amount of ingredients until after you have chilled it and tasted, the flavours become strong as they chill