KFC Hot Rods
This copycat recipe of crisp and spicy chicken skewers will satisfy your fast food craving for KFC Hot Rods.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
Servings: 6Print Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, diced into 2½ cm cubes, preferably marinated - see KFC Chicken Marinade
- 6 - 8 cups shortening, for cooking or cooking oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk, or full-cream milk if preferred
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon chicken stock powder
- pinch each of chilli powder, paprika, garlic powder, and baking powder
- Trim any excess skin and fat from the chicken thighs and cut into 2½cm cubes. Preheat the shortening or cooking oil in a deep-fryer to 175°C.
- Combine the beaten egg and milk in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, combine the remaining coating ingredients <em>(flour, salt, pepper, chicken stock powder, chilli powder, paprika, garlic powder, and baking powder)</em>.
- When the chicken has marinated, transfer each piece to paper towels so that excess liquid can drain off.
- Thread 4 - 5 chicken cubes onto each skewer
- Working with one skewer at a time, first dip in egg and milk then coat the chicken with the dry flour mixture, then the egg and milk mixture again, and then back into the flour. Be sure that each piece of chicken is coated very generously. Lay the chicken skewers on a plate or baking tray until each piece has been coated.
- Drop the skewers, one at a time into the hot shortening.
- Fry half of the skewers at a time for about 8 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are golden brown and cooked through. You should be sure to rotate the skewers around halfway through the cooking time so that each of the chicken cubes cook evenly.
- Remove the "hot rods" to a rack or paper towels to drain for about 5 minutes before eating.
Rate this Recipe
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0% | Vitamin C: 0% | Calcium: 0% | Iron: 0%