- 2¼ kg pork shoulder roast
For Cuban mojo sauce
- 2 cups fresh lime juice, or lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled (cloves can be left whole)
- 2 large onions, sliced in thin rounds
- ½ cup roast pork pan drippings
- ½ cup reserved garlic and lime sauce mixture
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Buy a nice large pork shoulder with the skin on.
- The night before - Take your pork shoulder and pierce it all over making deep cuts all over the roast. Next take the salt pour about 2 tablespoons full in your hands and rub deep all over the pork roast, sticking your fingers in the deep stabbed holes to penetrate the salt well into the meat.
- After salting put the pork to a side. In a blender add the lime or lemon, garlic cloves, and the seasonings (bay leaf, cumin powder, oregano, pepper, 1 teaspoon salt). Blend on high until all is liquefied. This is your Cuban mojo sauce; pour 1 cup of the mojo into a jar, cover and reserve for later.
- Now take the pork roast and pour the rest of the sauce all over, rubbing the mojo sauce deep into the pork meat in the slits or holes. The secret is to make sure you rub your pork roast with all this lime/garlic sauce making sure it is well incorporated into the meat. When done sprinkle a little more oregano, cumin, black pepper over the entire roast again. Cover with aluminium foil; and refrigerate until the next day for roasting.
- Next day - Remove pork from the refrigerator let stand for at least an hour then put into a preheated 165°C (325°F ; Gas Mark 3) oven. Depending on how large a roast you have roast about 3 to 4 hours or a little more. Pour a half cup of the reserved mojo and baste your roast every hour with some of the mojo. The pork roast is done when the juices run clear and the meat is tender. (Do not cover with aluminium foil to roast. You can tent the roast with aluminum foil but do not crimp the edges all around. You want to roast your pork meat not steam it. If the roast starts to get to brown on top tent it with the foil. take a large piece of foil and fold in half then put over the roast leaving the sides open, no crimping.)
- In your pan there should be a lot of pan drippings; pour it into a frying pan over medium heat and add the onions and fry. Next take half cup of the reserved mojo from the refrigerator and pour into the onions, sauteing everything for about five minutes. After about 10 minutes slice all of your roast and pour the mojo with onions all over the meat mixing it well into all of the pork meat. Serve with Cuban black beans and rice. Don't forget the Crispy Cuban bread.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 153mg | Sodium: 2893mg | Potassium: 1007mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Vitamin C: 32.8mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 3.8mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra