Servings: 4 servings
- Large Non-stick Frying Pan
- Small Bowl
- 1.2 kg ripe red tomatoes, mixed varieties
- 1 pinch saffron
- 100 ml water, boiling
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger
- 2 fresh red chillies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large onion
- 400 g can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons mango chutney
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 20 g flaked almonds
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Prick the tomatoes with the tip of a knife, removing the cores from the larger ones. Carefully plunge them into fast-boiling water for 45 seconds, then drain and peel away the skin.
- Cover the saffron with boiling water and leave to infuse.
- Toast the almonds in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until golden, then tip into a small bowl and place the pan back on the heat.
- Peel and very finely chop the garlic, ginger and chillies.
- Drizzle olive oil into the pan, then add the curry leaves, followed by all the spices.
- Peel and quarter the onion, separate into petals, then add to the pan with the garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk and saffron water, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, removing the lid and adding the mango chutney halfway through cooking.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper, then scatter over the almonds. Serve with fluffy rice.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 451.5kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.5g | Protein: 11.1g | Fat: 31.6g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Sodium: 37.9mg | Potassium: 1142.8mg | Fiber: 11.4g | Sugar: 15.6g | Vitamin A: 7184.7IU | Vitamin C: 2445.4mg | Calcium: 569.7mg | Iron: 4.3mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra