Shrikhand is a very popular Indian dessert made from strained yoghurt and is one of the main desserts in Maharashtrian and Gujarati cuisine.
Amrakhand - Mango Shrikhand
- a few cubes of fresh mango
- pistachios and almonds
- Place yoghurt in a muslin cloth and hang overnight or for 6-7 hours to drain out the whey. <em>(Tie it off and place inside the refrigerator otherwise the yoghurt will become sour)</em>
- Soak pistachio and almonds in hot water for 10 minutes. Remove the skin and chop it into small pieces.
- Soak saffron in warm milk.
To make mango shrikhand
- Using a wire whisk or a spatula, mix the hung yoghurt with sugar for 5-6 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. <em>(Shrikhand is all about texture, so mixing well is very important)</em>.
- Add the saffron soaked in milk, half of the chopped pistachio and almonds, mango puree, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Place in the fridge for an hour.
- Garnish with chopped pistachio, almonds and mango pieces.
Cooks Notes & Variations
Rate this Recipe