A rustic dessert with plenty of flavour. Serve with ice cream on a hot summer day or with a creamy custard during the winter months.
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 180 g sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 500 g tub ricotta
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 800 g canned apricot halves, drained
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- Melt butter and sugar, until sugar begins to dissolve. Mix into flour and beat in eggs.
- Spread two thirds of the cake mixture over the base of a buttered and lined 25cm round cake tin, top evenly with ricotta, sprinkle with cinnamon and arrange apricot halves skin side up over ricotta. Dollop spoonfuls of the remaining cake mixture evenly over the apricots and spread slightly with fingers. The apricots will not be completely covered.
- Sprinkle cake with raw sugar and bake at 180°C for 1 hour until cooked and golden. Cool cake in tin for 10 minutes before turning out.