This banana cream pie recipe is the absolute best if you like a smooth, creamy pie that doesn’t use boxed pudding as filling. Filled with bananas and topped with fresh homemade whipped cream, this is a masterpiece dessert!
- 4 ripe bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 x 23 cm pie crust, baked
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar, cornflour, and salt; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened.
- Reduce heat, cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Separate egg whites; discard. Beat egg yolks slightly.
- Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return egg mixture to saucepan; bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla, butter, and three of the sliced bananas.
- Use the remaining sliced banana to evenly cover the bottom of the pie crust. Pour filling on top.
- Bake in a 175°C oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool.
- Prepare the topping by beating the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place topping onto the banana filling, chill for 1-2 hours before serving