Bublanina varies with the season and the fruit that is available.
Servings: 33 cm x 23cm Bubble Cake
- 2 cups plain flour (all-purpose flour), plus 2 tablespoons for dusting fruit
- ¾ cup icing sugar (powdered sugar), plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- pinch salt
- 1¼ cups milk
- 5 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ - 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease a 33 x 23 x 5 cm pan. Toss the fruit with 2 tablespoons of flour and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, icing (powdered) sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, and vegetable oil until a smooth batter forms.
- in a clean, dry bowl, whip the egg whites until glossy, stiff peaks form.
- Add the mixed dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Using a spatula, fold the egg whites into the batter. (Do this in thirds with the resulting mixture should appear light and airy)
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and gently cover randomly with the floured blueberries. Be gentle, so as to not overly agitate the cake. Some fruit will sink immediately which is not a problem
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out cleanly.
- Cool, cut into squares, and cover with a sprinkling of icing sugar.
Since Bublanina is known for its airy texture it is important to have all of the preparation done ahead of time.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra