This delicious caramelised apple dessert is better known in France as a Tarte Paysanne aux Pommes Caramélisées or Peasant Tart. It is very similar to a claflouti and is so inexpensive, quick and easy to make. Big dollops of fresh whipped cream spooned on top and you are good to go.
- 4 Golden Delicious apples
- 50 g butter
- 280 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 g plain flour (all-purpose flour), sifted
- Preheat oven to 170°C
For the caramelised apples
- Peel and core the apples, then dice into small pieces.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a moderate heat, add the diced apples and sprinkle with 80 g of caster sugar.
- Cook to caramelise for about 8 minutes. (Stir gently from time to time for even cooking.)
- Drain and set aside.
For the dough
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the cream and vanilla extract.
- Add the remaining caster sugar and mix well.
- Stir in the sifted flour gradually, whisking well. The result should be a thick, smooth paste.
To bake the tart
- Butter a 25 cm springform pan.
- Pour in the batter and sprinkle the cooked apple over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes (The formed outer crust rim should be a golden brown colour).
- Allow to cool before removing from the baking pan.