Brazilians grow up eating avocados as a sweet treat and whenever the fruits are ripe and tender, transformed them quickly into a delicious dessert. The basic recipe just calls for ripe avocados, milk, sugar and lemon or lime juice, although some families make their recipes adding condensed milk and heavy cream.
Creme de Abacate - Brazilian Avocado Cream Dessert
- 4 ripe avocado
- 1 can condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons thickened cream
- ½ cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 4 - 5 tablespoons lime juice
- lime zest (to decorate)
- 4 tablespoons desiccated coconut (to decorate <em>(optional)</em>)
- Carefully cut the avocado in half, remove the stone, and remove all its pulp into a non-metallic bowl. Reserve the shell.
- Beat the avocado pulp, condensed milk, thickened cream, icing sugar, and lime juice until they are fully mixed and the consistency is close to that of whipped cream
- Pour the cream into the avocado shells and garnish with lemon zest and desiccated coconut <em>(if using)</em>.
- If you prefer a more ice cream like consistency put the filled avocado shells into the refrigerator for 3 hours <em>(covered with plastic wrap)</em>. Decorate just prior to serving